I had the enormous pleasure of attending a dog show in 2012 with my BFF. With no idea what to expect, I discovered that if you love dogs then you’ll love a dog show (duh.)
What is a dog show like for someone not competing:
- If you don’t have a dog, you’ll still get to experience a lot. (And no stress.) You’ll get to be giddy as you walk around and see dogs quite literally EVERYWHERE. And while the smell isn’t always great, people are making sure there are no messes and that the smell isn’t too bad.
- There are vendors everywhere, selling everything from jewelry, picture frames, to elite dog collars and beds. There are also dog show items for sale, such as special training accessories. While the dog-based jewelry is usually tacky, there are great deals on real gemstone jewelry going on.
- The dogs at the dog show don’t bark. They are so well-behaved that they don’t need leashes (but they’re on them.) There are tiny, tiny dogs that you want to SMOOSH. There are also HUGE dogs that are so tall they seem like they could pass for a thin pony.
- There is often a “meet the breeds” section roped off, at least there was here. And that’s a really great place, especially for kids. (Disclaimer: I have no kids but I still went in to pet the dogs!) The people are generally super friendly and open to talking about their breed of dog and giving you pointers if you want to buy a similar kind. They’re also just really interested in sharing their dog’s presence.
- As people walk, I always asked if I wanted to pet a dog. Don’t just swoop in unless you don’t mind the person being annoyed with you. They might be busy, or have just groomed their pet. I think it’s always best to ask. And then don’t just pet. Ask about the name of the pet, acknowledge their owner!
- There will be funny sights: from a giant poodle standing alone to a funny shirt that lights up. Be prepared for anything like that to happen. Try not to laugh unless you’re supposed to.
This woman was SO nice. And she had three pugs with her.
Here’s one of the courses.
I loved her shirt.
The girl behind the dog looks like Anna Popplewell, doesn’t she?
Isn’t this an adorable picture? Like owner, like dog!
Cutest lil dog!